In light of the recent Jewish high holidays period, I’m going to devote some brief blog space to talk about the different types of Jews that observe them.
My friend Vikki Weiss Goldman authored a wonderful ‘Jewish Education’ book called “What to do when you are dating a Jew“. In it, she reviews the Jewish High Holidays and gives 2 (or 3) examples of Jews that I probably align with the most.
There is the “Three-Day Jew” characterized by:
- Someone who only practices Judaism three times a year
- Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, and Passover
- Someone who only practices Judaism 2 times a year
- Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur
- Someone who is highly assimilated who also celebrate some Christian holidays
- No church going nor displaying of nativity scenes, they do open presents on 12/25 and dye Easter eggs however.