Why are the Chinese and Jews so interested in each other?

Professor Xu Xin is a widely respected academic on Judaic studies in China.

Last week, I had the privilege to listen to his lecture titled “Why are the Chinese so interested in the Jews?”  ( I may add, Jews are also interested in the Chinese, it goes both ways!)

Similar to my own perspectives on the reason, I would like to summarize for you here.

Chinese and Jewish Peoples share much in common:

1. Long and continuous history/civilization (Jews have over 5000 years and Chinese have over 3000 years)

2. Common traditions (places importance on education, family, values, and building businesses) (Jewish ladies love to play Mah Jonng! Chinese admire Jews’ business acumen )

3. Similar experiences (both Chinese and Jews have been persecuted and suppressed by others, but both live on, stronger than before)

4. Bright future (both people are set for a new future)

What do you think? Any other thoughts on the connection of the two groups? I would love to hear from you.

About these ads

19 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Peter Wong
    Feb 27, 2012 @ 18:36:41

How about: There has no record of a major persecution to Jewish people by the Chinese.

2. Fili
    Feb 28, 2012 @ 00:44:23

Honestly, though it’s nice that there are some esoteric professors in China interested in Jews and Israel and some struggling faculties in Israel trying to learn about China and Chinese culture, I’d say the statement “so interested” is far from reality. If anything, there’s an almost mutual avoidance, which is something i spend considerable time worrying about. If Israel is SO behind taking an interest in the world’s 2nd largest economy, and no one in China can say much more about Israel than “very clever at making money”, then we’re in a serious problem.

But that’s just my humble view… perhaps I’m missing something.

• allofasuddenpartJew
      Feb 28, 2012 @ 18:21:03

I see your points, but coming from the USA and associating with American Jews specifically, I would say its a bit different than Israel. There is a lot going on in terms of mixing at schools, namely universities. I do not think there is a sizable Asian or Chinese population for Jews and Chinese Tomis one social level. I stay away from politics so won’t comment on the Israeli government.

3. Vikki Weiss Goldman
    Feb 28, 2012 @ 23:55:52

Interesting! Can you expand on why the professor thinks the future looks bright for the Jews?

• allofasuddenpartJew
      Mar 02, 2012 @ 12:49:32

Hi Vikki,
      My own personal interpretation is that China is growing as a world power. Jews and Chinese relations is very important as we can support and nurture each other for a better future for both.
      xoxo
      Xiaoming

4. Dave Ritz
    Mar 01, 2012 @ 03:37:43

Hello and greetings. I follow your page on FB. I’m a third generation American of Jewish ancestory. My great-grandfather and great-grandmother came to America over 100 years ago from Belarus (White Russia), which was part of the Czar of Russia’s Empire back then. Very typical, normal and predictable story of American Jews.

Here’s what is unusual: I just learned recently that my great-grandfather, a Jew born and raised in Belarus, as a young man around 1900, had lived and worked in China. He had to leave when The Boxer Rebellion happened.

Do you have any info about this? Do you think he might have lived and worked in Shanghai among other Europeans and Jews? Were there lots like him in China at that time?

5. Zionism
    Jan 22, 2013 @ 12:41:40

• allofasuddenpartJew
      Jan 22, 2013 @ 13:19:16

That’s very interesting. I hope the link can be found as well. May I ask if you are Chinese Jewish as well?

• LC
      Jul 24, 2013 @ 15:40:52

Chinese and Jews are both from an ancient civilization group, like the twin brothers who were separated from the very early age, they must have been together when they left Egypt, this is why the Chinese New Year are so similar as Jewish Passover. Chinese and Jews are related, hopefully the genetic science can trace back 5000 years ago and prove that that in the future. -> That’s because both Chinese and Jews are descendants of Shem.

6. Gloria Sieradzki
    May 17, 2013 @ 10:48:27

There’s one big difference. The very first commandment from God in the Jewish Bible (Book of Genesis) is said to Adam and Eve: “Be Fruitful and multiply!) The Jews could never accept the current Chinese laws that forbid large families. It would express the exact opposite of one central Jewish value:: Choose Life!!

7. mello
    Jul 02, 2013 @ 08:00:44

The Chinese have 5000 years as well. Semites and Chinese all have very deep history, which makes them very intelligent.

8. Aviva
    Nov 28, 2013 @ 14:01:42

Stumble upon this post, just want to share a few thoughts I have.
    Chinese are not interested in the Jewish culture, they are just interested in the Jewish people in a very stereotypical way – that the Jews are good with money and they are born smart. The Jews are definitely good business partners for the Chinese, but how much more are the Chinese interested about the Jewish culture/people? All these comparison on the two cultures are wishful thinking, one can find more similarities between the Chinese and the Italians. I am all for people doing things to connect these two cultures (not an easy job), as connection will bring more understanding; but in my opinion this is a process more than making lists of facts that try to make people feel connected in a superficial way.

• allofasuddenpartJew
      Nov 28, 2013 @ 14:32:11

Hi Aviva,

Thank you for your feedback. I completely agree with you it is much more deeper than making list. That’s what I have to start with and work from. You are right it is a process, a long one at that. We will see where I am in 10 years.

Regards
      Xiaoming

9. Max
    Nov 19, 2014 @ 18:33:52

Both cultures like Success. Nothing wrong with that! It is the gift of the Jewish God – prosperity, bounty, reward in THIS life.