Toby’s Mah Jongg Classes — So much fun!

Ever since I met Toby at AJC’s Chinese-Jewish Mah Jongg event, I have been captivated by the art of the game.

Considering that I am Chinese, but ignorant about Mah Jongg, was not acceptable in my eyes.  With conviction, I coerced my mom to take the beginner’s course together  in Berkeley, CA.

Now Toby teaches the Jewish or American style of play, a kind of a twist on the Chinese version.  Every Wednesday evening, for 4 weeks, I get to sit with 6 other Jewish ladies learning the basics. Toby provides the refreshments, i.e. tea and cookies and is a great teacher and communicator.  My mom and I are the only ones who are not “100%” Jews at the class.

I get the feeling there is a sort of revival of Mah Jongg going on right now. When I think of Mah Jongg, I think of a more mature audience.  I hope to help change this and entice more younger generations to start cracking those tiles!  Do you know how to play?

About these ads

9 Comments (+add yours?)

1. Janice M. Sellers
    Sep 10, 2011 @ 22:39:57

This sounds like a lot of fun! Where are the classes held?
    Janice

2. Susan
    Sep 11, 2011 @ 06:08:59

I love to play Mah Jongg! I am one of the Mah Jongg Doctors!
    See our blog here:

Join us for lots of information about the game!

3. Toby
    Sep 12, 2011 @ 08:37:12

Wow! This is Toby and I love that you love learning Mah Jongg. If you know anyone who is interested in future classes….tobysmj@gmail.com. It’s really a joy to have you and your mom in my class. You are my first mother/daughter team!

4. Theresa Casteel
    Oct 31, 2011 @ 11:29:36

I played maj with a local group here in Northern VA for quite a while (before I went back to work). Great fun. We were a mixed group with all types of backgrounds – definately not religious affiliated group in any way.
    Regards,
    Theresa (Tangled Trees)

5. Chere
    Oct 22, 2012 @ 00:57:20

I learned Maj about 10 years ago from a friend’s mother (Jewish). We are 7 Jewish ladies that get together once-a-week to play and I love it!

• Toby Salk
      Oct 23, 2012 @ 01:00:33

I teach Mah Jongg and have taught hundreds at this point in time. There are groups all over the Bay Area that have stemmed from my classes. I love hearing about the community Mah Jongg creates. Any one out there want to try a Beginners Class???